Cutest thing to have happened to me since I took the blogging plunge a couple of weeks ago: being nominated by the lovely Jess of Waiting on a Word and Allison of The Wannabe Writer Life for two Liebster awards (‘liebster’ coming from the German word for ‘favorite’ or ‘dearest’ – aww! I’ve loved reading Jess and Allison’s stuff so far and can’t wait to see what they come up with next.) There’s no actual prize, it’s just kind of the blogging gift that keeps on putting smiles on faces. I was JUST thinking recently that we really need to bring back those Hotmail questionnaires (‘What’s worse: barfing on your date or your date barfing on you?’…I lifted that DIRECT from a 2002 email I have saved). So…here goes!
The Liebster Award is a fun way to recognize and promote new up and coming blogs of a good standard with less than 200 followers. Nominees are asked to:
1. Post 11 facts about themselves.
2. Answer the 11 questions they’ve been asked.
3. Nominate 11 other blogs and ask them 11 questions of their own.
4. Display the Liebster Award logo.
11 Random Facts About Me:
1. I love reading so much I read books about books. And libraries. And reading.
2. I speak French with a Quebecois accent and have found this to be unacceptable in France
3. I did competitive gymnastics when I was younger, which I point to as the reason I’m as tall today as I was in grade 5
4. The New York Times is my bible
5. I’m still convinced I’ve missed a calling to the Broadway Stage. Nevermind the fact that I almost made someone cry because I refused to stop singing along to the Rent soundtrack.
6. I’m from both Montreal and Toronto, which proves tricky when it comes to NHL allegiances
7. My favorite thing to cook is pasta. Alllll kinds of pasta.
8. I’m perpetually cold in London. Yes, I’m from Canada. Canadians get cold too.
9. The Waitrose cheese counter is my happy place
10. I have a hilarious family across the ocean that I miss every day
11. I could sit on a double decker bus with an ipod on for hours, just watching London out the window
Questions from Jess:
1. Where was your last vacation and would you go back? Paris, and a hundred percent oui! Though the Parisians themselves might not appreciate it (see random fact #2)
2. Where do you do your blogging? On the couch in my flat. Or, as my boyfriend would say, his couch. Mine is the tiny £80 one we got from Ikea (best £80 buy EVER)
3. You are stuck in an elevator with one person. Who do you want that person to be? Agatha Christie – we’d pass the time by her making up new mystery novels and reciting them out loud (in turn I’d promise to give her my honest opinion…which would be ‘LOVE IT!!’ everytime)
4. What is your favorite book and why? Trying to name my favorite fiction novel always gives me heart palpitations so I’ll stick with non fiction: Mort Rosenblum’s Little Bunch of Madmen.
5. Iced coffee, hot coffee, iced tea, or hot tea? Hot tea in the winter, iced tea in the summer
6. Batman, Spiderman, Superman, and Wonder Woman are in an all-out brawl. Who’s your money on? Well, at first Wonder Woman (because, you know, solidarity) but then Archie and Jughead would come along, talk everyone down from the ledge and then they’d all go for milkshakes
7. If you could date anyone in the Ocean’s Eleven cast, who would you pick? I’ve sat here for TEN MINUTES and CANNOT ANSWER THIS QUESTION. Can it be an alternating speed date?
8. Is Hillary Swank “hot”? Hmm not the first word I’d use, she’s def fierce!
9. If you had a month off, what would you do? Travel travel travel eat travel
10. What makes the world go around? LOVEEE and chocolate (none of this orbits in space nonsense)
11. What are three words that describe you? Curious, loquacious, bubbly
Questions from Allison:
1. Who is your favourite character (book, play, movie, or TV) of all time? Why? This is almost as difficult as the Ocean’s Eleven question. Literary answer: Amory Blaine from Fitzgerald’s ‘This Side of Paradise’, not because of his pretentiousness and prissy character but because I read it at a time when I knew what it felt like to be on the cusp of graduation with a big wide world waiting and a lot of his thoughts resonated with me. Disney answer: Mulan. Girl power!!
2. If you had a time machine and could travel anywhere in the world at any point in time, where/when would you go? Probably 1960’s America. Or Paris in the 20’s. Or Spain during the Civil War, a la Martha Gellhorn.
3. Why do you blog? To share – too much awesomeness in London to keep it all to myself!
4. What was your favourite thing to get for Hallowe’en when you were a kid? Cherry Blasters ftw
5. If you could learn to speak another language fluently (quickly and easily), what would it be? Arabic
6. What concert would you most like to see? Always U2 (Florence + the Machine a close second, because I’ve never seen them in concert)
7. What was the last song that got stuck in your head for days? One Direction’s ‘Rock Me’. I have sisters and friends and a boyfriend ALL collectively to blame for this.
8. What actor/actress would play you in the movie about your life? I used to say Anne Hathaway, because of the resemblance-ish, but after Les Mis I think everyone might be a tad sick of her, so perhaps not the wisest choice in terms of audience appreciation
9. What scent is linked to a happy memory for you (if any)? (It could be perfume, food, campfires, etc…) This particular lamb meat that my grandfather used to BBQ every Easter. It smelled like family and Greekness
10. If you could pick a superpower for yourself, what would it be? Teleportation – instant travel power!
11. What’s your favorite kind of pie? Rhubarb
My nominees (these are some lovely blogs I’ve happened upon and enjoyed – drop them a visit!)
The (notso) Secret Life of a PhD Student
From London to London
The Ropes in London
S Marks the Spot
A Wandering Willa
Do Try These At Home
Stuff I Love To Do
Book of Arts
Questions for my nominees:
1. If you could live anywhere else in the world, where would it be and why?
2. First website you open in the morning?
3. Describe the most scrumptious meal you’ve ever had
4. If you could be famous for any reason, what would it be?
5. What’s something you’re looking forward to in the near future?
6. Current TV show obsession?
7. Name a song that reminds you of high school
8. Share something quirky/interesting/random that you learned in the last week?
9. Give an example of book-to-movie adaptation that you think actually worked really well
10. Who inspires you?
11. Which birthday was your favorite?
Have fun! 🙂